Student attendance is the law.
RCW 28A.225.010 Compulsary School Attendance: Parents of any child 8 years of age and under 18 years of age in the State of Washington shall cause such child to attend school and such child shall have the responsibility to and therefore shall attend for the full school session.
RCW 28A.225.030: School districts are required to file a petition with the juvenile court for attendance violations by a parent or child.
The legislators, school districts and courts share the common goal of requiring students to attend school on a regular, full-time basis without acquiring unexcused absences.
Improving school attendance increases the likelihood that children will be successful in school. Also, improved attendance decreases problems related to inappropriate social behavior such as gang activity, vandalism, burglary, and drug/alcohol abuse.
Longview School District regulations and Mt. Solo Middle School policy require a child’s parent/guardian to either call the school attendance office at 360.577.2863 or send a note explaining the reason for a child’s absence. The attendance office will determine whether the absence is excused or not.
We reaffirm our commitment to the success of ALL students and to inform you about some required changes with regard to student attendance. Specifically, there have been some changes regarding excused absences. The following reasons for excused absences are valid.
- Participation in a school or district approved activity or instructional program;
- Illness, health condition, or medical appointment (including but not limited to medical, counseling, dental, or optometry);
- Family emergency, including but not limited to a death or illness in the family;
- Religious or cultural purpose including observance of a religious holiday or participation in religious or cultural instruction;
- Court, judicial proceeding, or serving on a jury;
- Post-secondary, technical school or apprenticeship program visitation, or scholarship interview;
- State recognized search and rescue activities consistent with RCW 28A.225.055;
- Absence directly related to the student’s homeless status;
- Absence related to deployment activities of a parent or legal guardian who is an active duty member consistent with RCW 28A.705.010;
- Absence resulting from a disciplinary/corrective action, (e.g., short-term or long-term suspension, emergency expulsion); and
- Principal (or designee) and parent, guardian, or emancipated youth mutually agreed upon approved activity provided that such excused absences shall not be permitted if deemed to cause a serious adverse effect upon the student educational progress consistent with RCW 28A.225.010.
The school principal must determine if an absence meets the above criteria for an excused absence.
Please complete a Pre-planned Absence Form and submit it to the office at least three days prior to the absence.